Healthcare engagement is experiencing an evolution. Why? Because millennials, born roughly between 1981 and 1996, have surpassed baby boomers as the largest adult generation. This generation has been a significant force in shaping healthcare needs. How so? Consider a few factors:
- Digital health: Millennials are the first generation to grow up with the internet, smartphones, and other digital technologies. They are more likely to use health apps, wearable technology, and telehealth services.1,2,3,4
- Personalized care: Millennials are more interested in patient-centered care that considers their individual needs, preferences and values. They value transparency, convenience and efficiency, and are willing to switch providers if they have a bad digital healthcare experience.5
- Mental health: Millennials are more open about their mental health. They will seek care more so than previous generations and are more likely to advocate for better access to services.6
- Social determinants of health: Millennials are more aware of the social determinants of health (income, education, and environment). They expect health equity.
- Preventive care: Millennials prioritize preventive care and healthy lifestyles. They are more likely to exercise regularly, eat healthy, and seek preventive screenings.7
Who is addressing the need for digitized, personalized and preventative care?
Telemedicine and teledentistry come into play as millennials demand a digital delivery of the healthcare process. More companies are offering digital interaction in order not to alienate this large demographic. Dentulu® is one such example.
To address the demands for digital and personalized dental care, Dentulu has created a platform that is convenient and affordable. Dentulu is a teledentistry service that provides virtual dental consultations, diagnoses and remote monitored treatment options through a mobile app or web portal.
Patients can access care at home or while on the go through a smartphone or mobile device. Millennials are the most financially disadvantaged generation and have very distinct spending habits, resulting in many that are underinsured or uninsured.6 Virtual consultations and treatment options are affordable with transparent pricing, empowering patients to make informed decisions about care.
Personalized healthcare for the modern patient
Dentulu’s entire platform is focused on accessibility and preventative health care. It offers personalized consultations, treatment plans and follow-up care. One of its primary goals is to connect the oral-systemic link, which is vital in preventive care. An avenue in which Dentulu is doing this is through its salivary testing program (powered by OralDNA® Labs).
Salivary testing can be tailored to individual needs, allowing a more personalized approach to health and wellness. For example, testing can be geared toward periodontal pathogens to determine the potential dental treatment needed and the possibility of systemic disease as a result of pathogen overload. Tests can also be chosen for the evaluation of genetic risk factors of periodontal infections or tendencies towards cavities. Dentulu has made this form of testing accessible to all by creating a system where patients can choose to test at home. Virtual consultations will then be available for patients to review their results and possible treatment recommendations with a licensed dental professional.
As the evolution continues, telemedicine and teledentistry have the potential to bridge the gap between integrative care and millennials, as it is healthcare that is convenient, affordable, patient-centered and technology-driven.
How can professionals adapt to digital healthcare?
Currently, Dentulu’s salivary testing affiliate program is open to anyone interested in promoting integrative and preventative dentistry, where participants can even earn a commission while advocating for modern care. Additionally, the Dentulu platform is offered to dental providers who want to take their practices to the next level and implement teledentistry in their business. If you are interested in more information, we hold monthly webinars and registration is free. Please join us June 28, 2023 at 8pm EST by clicking the link below at the scheduled webinar time.
Meeting link: meet.google.com/zpo-ican-otc
Join by phone: (US) +1 319-535-3444 PIN: 637378800
When: Wednesday June 28, 2023 ⋅ 8pm – 9pm (Eastern Time – New York)
Dentulu is also hosting a webinar on May 31, 2023 at 8pm EST. For more information, please reach out to the author at email@example.com.
- Statista : “Health App user share in the U.S. by generation 2022” by Conor Stewart August 23, 2022 https://www.statista.com/forecasts/1181592/share-of-us-health-app-users-by-generation
- PYMNTS: “Connected Wellness: Tracking the Rise of Health-Monitoring Technology” November 2022 https://www.pymnts.com/technology/2022/wearable-medtech-revolution-driven-generation-z-millennials/
- Intelerad: How Millennials are Impacting Healthcare IT” September 8, 2022 https://www.intelerad.com/en/2022/09/06/how-millennials-are-impacting-healthcare-it/ Press Ganey: “Millennials and zoomers vs. boomers: How different generations seek out and choose healthcare providers.” Andy Kennedy February 3, 2022 https://info.pressganey.com/press-ganey-blog-healthcare-experience-insights/millennials-and-zoomers-vs-boomers-how-different-generations-seek-out-and-choose-healthcare-providers
- PYMNTS: New Report: Healthcare Morphing Into HealthTech as Millennials Go for Digital Doctoring” September 8, 2021 https://www.pymnts.com/healthcare/2021/healthcare-morphing-into-healthtech-as-millennials-go-for-digital-doctoring/
- Fierce Healthcare: “60% of younger patients will switch healthcare providers over a poor digital experience: survey” Heather Landi October 10, 2019 https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/tech/60-younger-patients-will-switch-healthcare-providers-over-a-poor-digital-experience-survey
- com: “Millennials and mental health” 9/30/2022 https://therapist.com/generations/millennials/
- Sanford Health “Millenials: The ‘wellness generation” Katie Nermoe September 12, 2022 https://news.sanfordhealth.org/sanford-health-plan/millennials-wellness-generation/
- The Digital and Integrative Demand of Millennials - May 19, 2023